Monday, August 8, 2011

The Hair Removal Issue

It's an age-old issue- hair removal and the when, the how and sometimes, the whyyy???

Removing unwanted hair should be easy, right? Shaving, waxing, laser-removal, cream hair removers and whatever other product or service comes along leaves us with several options, but which one works best for each one of us is sometimes a puzzle.

For me, shaving has been my go-to-method for years, but it doesn't always offer great results. As I get older, my skin is changing and so is my hair. Razor burn, bumps and discomfort are just a few of the disadvantages of shaving. I've been searching for a better removal system and thought waxing might be a great alternative to shaving. I admit I even thought about revisiting the use of Nair, which I haven't used since I was in high school. Anyway, the waxing option seemed appropriate but I definitely wanted to try it first at home. I am modest, and I just didn't think I could bring myself to go to a waxing professional. So home-waxing, here I come... or so I thought.

I stood in the hair removal aisle at Target staring at the few options offered. "Which one should I try this time?" I thought to myself. This will be the 2nd waxing product I've tried in my life. The first wax product I tried was while I was in college, and it was a wax with strips so I knew I wanted to try stripless wax this time. I spotted Sally Hansen's Simple Spa wax kit, purchased it and tried it the same day. Before I continue, I have only given this product ONE trial so I may have a different outcome next time.


Rundown:
It took about 25-30 minutes for the wax to melt. While one should NEVER leave the warmer unattended while it's on, it still seems a little too dangerous to me to leave anything hot (and spillable) on that long in my home. After very closely watching the wax melt, stirring the wax and prepping the area, the wax seemed ready to apply. I applied a few swatches of wax, peeled the wax off as directed and studied what came off in the wax... disappointing. With the intense pain that came along with ripping the wax off my skin I thought that surely all the hair from those areas would be removed, but unfortunately the wax really did not seem to remove that much hair at all. From my first trial, I was disappointed. The pain from waxing was not worth the few hairs that were removed. I may have had better luck removing more hair by tweezing and plucking in the same time it took the wax to melt and maybe would have experienced less pain and definitely better results. HOWEVER, like I said earlier, this was my first trial with this product so I am willing to give it another go. When I do, I will let you know if I get better results. So overall, I do not want to give a solid conclusion opinion on this product yet because I have only tried it once and am willing to try it again.

I love how the cord neatly wraps up into the warmer. 

The warmer itself is pretty lightweight so be careful to not move it or knock it over.
***If you've tried Sally Hansen's SIMPLE SPA, I would love to see your feedback. I would love to know what you think about this product, other products that work for you and/or stories about waxing or any other hair removal experience.  Thank you!

Have a fabulous day every day. :)

No comments: